Re: [dmarc-ietf] Change the mailing list protocol, not DMARC.

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM, Martin Rex <mrex@xxxxxxx <mailto:mrex@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
    > Hector Santos <hsantos@xxxxxxxx <mailto:hsantos@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:
    >>
    >> Let me ask, what if a fedex.com <http://fedex.com> employee use
    this email domain for
    >> subscribing to the IETF list?
    >
    > Any subsequent problems are irrelevant unless FedEx, the owner of
    > fedex.com <http://fedex.com> considers them to be relevant.
    >
    > That is what folk complaining don't get: you don't have the right to
    > use your employers email or a public email provider's email any way
    > you want. The domain name owner makes the rules.
    >
    > As Craster insists: My domain, my rules.

    Strange concept!

    Does your jurisdiction allow your landlord to interfere with
    postal/snail mail that is delivered from or to your rented appartment?

Absent specific government action to protect the tenant, the landlord can abuse them in almost any way they choose. Which is why we have voluminous legislative protections for tenants. There is an entire field of law concerning that.

Though, in the case of mail, it's Federal law that prevents "mail tampering" and other unauthorized interference with US mail. I'm not 100% sure, but I expect that an employer might not be legally allowed to interfere with a letter addressed to you, at your workplace.

When it comes to email - there are (or at least used to be) the Email Privacy Act - which forbid employers from reading your mail, in the absence of a clearly stated policy that reserved the right to do so.

Miles Fidelman