Re: RFC compliance and the European Parliament

Hi Erik,

At 04:00 09-06-2014, JOSEFSSON Erik wrote:
I need help from the standards community with regards to RFC-compliance in the European Parliament.

I reach out here because I believe you expect your work on improving the internet will be implemented, maybe in particular by public bodies we hold to a higher standard wrt transparency than others[0].

In an Access to Documents request the EP just stated that "conformity with RFC-5321 section 3.9 is by nature outside EP's responsibilities" [1].

Do you agree? Are there RFCs which correct implementation would, by nature, fall within the responsibilities of the EP?

I read the reply. In my opinion the text quoted (above) from the reply conveys a different meaning. My understanding of that part of the reply is that mailing lists managed outside that email system is outside EP's responsibility. The question you asked could be stated as follows:

  Is it the responsibility of the EP to set the standards for email systems
  to adhere to?

Please find a link to our documentation of the particular issue with RFC-5321 section 3.9 below[2]

The issue in that document is about whether the mail relays for europarl.europa.eu can reject a message from a (external) mailing list if the "From:" header contains "europarl.europa.eu" as the domain part. There is be a mail delivery problem if the external email system implements and follows what is written in RFC 5321.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy