Re: [Internetgovtech] Coordination Group Members for the Transition of NTIA's Stewardship of the IANA Functions

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 5:49 PM, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
> Coordinating Committee have become open-ended.  Unlike many of
> the appointing groups, the IETF is not in a position to
> underwrite those costs, i.e., to cover costs of time-salary
> and/or travel to the various meetings so as to spread those
> costs across the relevant community.   The net effect is that
> the only people who can plausibly represent the IETF are those
> who:

This part here made me think, can this issue about cost be the first
step on the way to a multi-stakeholder for Internet where only
the rich can participate? Rich as in having money AND time to travel
to endless meetings around the world? ... I hope not.

Personally I would like to get more involved but I can not see a way
to get more involved, have no way to fund it, or see how I can get
time to do more.

Except that, it's great work and good to see discussion  on the
subject (IANA transition) and future for the Internet.

<snip>
> p.s. Personal note: despite personal interest in this,
> involvement as an advisor to IANA since the late 1970s and early
> 1980s, key roles in ICANN's creation and intermittent
> involvement since (as liaison to the Board, advisor on multiple
> issues (especially IDNs and i18n), and occasional consultant,
> I'd not putting my name forward for this role.  The reasons are
> ultimately connected to the remarks above: I have no funding for
> an open-ended commitment that could involve significant time and
> travel and I'm already overextended on work I feel I need to do
> for the IETF.
>

> Especially with the added requirement for "diversity"

Any discussion without historic view have a possibility to repeat old
mistakes...

--

Roger Jorgensen           | ROJO9-RIPE
rogerj@xxxxxxxxx          | - IPv6 is The Key!