Re: Last Call: <draft-iab-2870bis-01.txt> (DNS Root Name Service Protocol and Deployment Requirements) to Best Current Practice

Hi

On 29/05/2014 17:41, manning bill wrote:
> apparently there is not “enough consensus”, since several roots don’t have published v6 addresses.
> there -might- be rough consensus in a narrow slice of the technical community that has an axe to grind.
> end of the day, the IETF has no say on how people operate their networks/services.

I meant consensus here, not in the root server operator community.

I believe that there is a limit on the argument of operational
independence. If you agree to provide a service the whole Internet
depends on, well, it's reasonable that you need to comply with certain
requirements.

If an operator can't / won't comply with the requirements set by the
IETF, they can ask to be relieved of their duty.

> if you think it should, i’d like to see a resolution of the DMARC deployment that requires all SMTP
> servers to require, per IETF mandate to support DMARC.
>
> Engineering is not Operations.   This is not the IOTF.

DMARC/mailing lists are hardly critical infrastructure. This is not even
remotely comparable to the root server issue in terms of impact.

> /bill

~Carlos