Re: Overlays and encapsulations (was Re: Engineering discussions )

> It often seems like all these tunnel types serve individually useful
> purposes, but that we've also simply failed to reuse much if anything,
> making implementation more difficult. Its seems, to me, that could
> live with a few generic tunnel types, rather than a thousand
> specialized ones, but the cat already seems to be out if the bag (?).

we used to repeat a mantra along the lines of reliable ip transport
reinvention only shows that tcp (this year's version, of course <g>) is
sufficient and a good compromise among the many constraints.

that philosophy never took hold in the encaps space.  a tecnoloogy for
every need.  how much was real need and how much career/market building
is left to the judgement of the observer.

randy