Re: Ad hominems

On 25/02/2014 21:47, Dave Crocker wrote:
On 2/25/2014 12:12 PM, Stewart Bryant wrote:
On 25/02/2014 19:39, Dave Crocker wrote:
On 2/25/2014 11:23 AM, Stewart Bryant wrote:
Although that text started with the word "suggestion", the
text construction is that of an instruction.

Instruction?  Huh?  That characterization warrants careful
explanation.  Please provide it.

The note 1) made a suggestion, and 2) Stated a need.  It implied that
implementing the change would remedy the need.

What part of that qualifies as "instruction" rather than, for example,
explanation?

There was nothing tutorial, parental or authoritative in the note
making the suggestion.  Everything focusing on background and presence
or lack of expertise was introduced by others, in response. Hence, ad
hominem.

d/

Dave

First, please can I request that you take a less harassing approach to
this discussion.

If I knew what you considered harassing and how it constitutes harassing, I'd be able to consider the request. Given the import of a word like harassing, it's surprising it would be used without any explanation. So, sitting as a standalone assertion, without explanation, it's difficult to see how your 'request' is constructive.

Dave