Re: Anti-harassment procedures - next version

On 3/4/14, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ==Issues Still Open==
>>
>> Should the Ombudsperson be a fixed size team defined in this document?
>> A team of three was suggested.
>
> I would suggest something like "one person or a small team" for
> now. Experience will tell us the right answer.

A team with diversity, it MUST have male and female, and will add east
and west region, so my minimum total is between 3-4 persons. The
importance is their quality decision and fairness to the victom and
others. The numbers can be more but not less, however, agree with
Brian but will limit the team designed to become diverse.

>> Should the Ombudsperson (all of them) be selected from the IETF
>> community, or should wider choice be allowed? There was some suggestion
>> about restricting to the community although no measure of previous
>> community involvement was suggested.
>
> Again, I think experience will tell us. I think it should be
> left flexible for now.

I think the selection should be guided by diversity approaches.

>> Where should the Ombudsperson go for professional and legal advice?
>> Should there be retained professionals to supply advice on an on-demand
>> basis?
>
> If we have an "amateur" with limited experience, s/he will need
> advice and I think we should ask ISOC to stand ready to provide
> or fund such advice as and when needed. Don't over-design.

The ISOC seems a good option if there is a anti-harassment procedure
for such interaction between IETF and ISOC.

>> Who appoints the Ombudsperson? Who removes them? Who reappoints? Is this
>> too much to expect of the IETF chair?
>
> I think we should recommend that the IETF Chair seeks advice
> from the IAB Chair and the ISOC President, but I think it's
> entirely reasonable to give the Chair this responsibility.

Responsibilities are reasonable but not always and at all times, there
may be some conditions we may look at, however, such power needs to be
guided by procedure to make sure diversity and fairness are perceived.

>> How to handle the case that the person responsible for appointing the
>> Ombudsperson is the Respondent.
>
> It seems sufficient to specify that the Ombudsperson cannot be
> fired if such a case is under way.

Agree,

AB