Re: Internet organisations coordination meeting

On 16/02/2014 10:19, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Sunday, February 16, 2014 09:19 +1300 Brian E Carpenter
> <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the update.
>>
>> I'd really like to push the idea that we stop using the word
>> "leaders" and start using "spokespeople".
>>
>> It's something I should have realised many years ago; the
>> enormous scientific collaborations at CERN who used to be my
>> customers have used this terminology (or
>> spokesman/spokeswoman) for ever. It really is closer to what
>> we want to project about our community, isn't it?
>
> Brian,
>
> Yes.  The problem is that, while the RIR and ISOC CESs, and
> maybe the ICANN one, have the authority and perhaps even a
> mandate, to act as spokespeople.  The IAB and IETF Chairs have
> no such authority: in the absence of rather specific inquiries
> of the community and determination of consensus, they are not
> supposed to "speak for", e.g., the IETF.   It is entirely
> reasonable, and sometimes necessary, that they be able to speak
> as individuals who happen to hold those positions and who have
> the perspective that comes with those positions but, in allowing
> them to do that, the community trusts that they will make the
> distinction as clear as necessary for the particular
> circumstances that apply.
>
> Certainly you understand that.  My recollection is that you were
> exceptional careful about the distinctions while wearing the
> relevant hats.
>
> It is a challenging situation for everyone involved, but I don't
> think the terminology change would improve things.  It might
> make them worse.

I think it's all a matter of perception. But of course you're
correct - it's very important that whoever attends such meetings
from our community steers very carefully along those narrow and
invisible lines. I'm not so sure I was always successful myself.

Certainly the physics "spokespeople" I used to deal with were
usually very skilful at such navigation. If not, they had a very
rough time at the next collaboration meeting. Sounds familiar?

    Brian