Re: Problem with new Note Well

On 1/27/2014 10:36 PM, Ned Freed wrote:
>    It is a sad fact that having read BCP 79 eight years ago isn't "enough".
That's highly debatable. All RFC 4879 does is clarify one sentence in RFC 3979
having to do with the handling of third party disclosures by the Executive
Director. It doesn't affect the responsibilities of participants at all.

A cogent argument can be made that we should work towards consolidating
and simplifying the IPR documents. This isn't it.

http://www.ietf.org/about/note-well.html contains pointers to multiple documents. (I thought I saw 4 docs, but apparently it's 3.)

"All IETF Contributions are subject to the rules of RFC 5378 and RFC 3979 (updated by RFC 4879)."

It does not matter how much or how little of each document is relevant. The citations are generic, establishing a burden on the reader to consult all 3 documents and then try to figure out what parts of them apply.

The burden created by the presence of multiple, generic citations -- not the burden of the "relevant" text contained in any of those documents, once the readers figures out what's relevant -- is what I am calling inappropriate.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking