Re: [mpls] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp-04.txt> (Encapsulating MPLS in UDP) to Proposed Standard

On 1/21/2014 8:03 PM, Scott Brim wrote:
Lars is right, this does allow traffic that was formerly run over
provisioned paths in well-managed networks to possibly be part of
general Internet traffic. It would be good if there were a way to be
_sure_  there was e2e congestion control. But there is no signaling
between this low-layer UDP encapsulation and anything above it that
might already be reacting to congestion. There is no reasonably easy
way for it to know what it is carrying. Yes there is a way to do
congestion control at the bottom layer, but doing so could destroy
performance if one (or more) layer(s) is already doing it up above. We
have experience with that.

Lars isn't suggesting congestion control on the same timescale as TCP, which is where the problem would be.

Long-timescale control OR something as simple as a throttle-cap would be sufficient.

I can't remember who said it, but an applicability statement might
satisfy everyone, especially since it's been said (Curtis?) that this
just isn't going to be used in situations where congestion will be a
problem.

If we accepted that premise, we wouldn't need any congestion control. Nobody openly claims to want to generate congestion.

Congestion control is required to protect the rest of us from cases where that claim turns out to be false (typically because the protocol designers/use case authors turned out to be wrong).

Alternatively, a paragraph laying out the problem and saying if this
is used in a way that could impact ordinary traffic, a mechanism must
be defined.

The problem is very clearly already stated in RFC5405. I can't see how this mechanism would ever be used if not for ordinary traffic.

So yes, a mechanism must be defined IMO too.

Joe