Re: [mpls] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp-04.txt> (Encapsulating MPLS in UDP) to Proposed Standard

On 1/16/14, 9:19 AM, Eggert, Lars wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2014-1-16, at 18:06, joel jaeggli <joelja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> These tunnels are stateless
>
> yep. (But they don't have to be.)

They do in-fact have to be stateless with respect to the contents. They
will no doubt be created in a same distributed forwarding  engines that
currently do IP-MPLS encapsulation and L2-MPLS encapsulation. likewise
their decapsulation will occur in such devices.

> Look at it the other way: if transport area folks would want to send
> MPLS packets into the network in some problematic way, I'm sure the
> routing and ops folks would not be amused.

Today congestion occurs on MPLS networks. intermediate hops that are
congested have no choice but to drop packets.