Re: [mpls] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp-04.txt> (Encapsulating MPLS in UDP) to Proposed Standard

On Friday, January 10, 2014 06:09:45 PM Eggert, Lars wrote:

> The whole point of running MPLS is to create networks in
> which paths are provisionable, so this is usually not an
> issue. But if you start sticking MPLS inside of UDP,
> those packets can go anywhere on the net, so you need
> mechanisms to control the rate of that traffic if it
> causes congestion, or at the very least you need to be
> able to stop the traffic if it creates severe
> congestion.

What most networks do is just police/shape traffic at
whatever rate you can afford to pay for, as it enters/leaves
the provider's network.

As MPLS is in UDP, all the provider sees is IP, as they
should. I don't think there will be any "special treatment"
to UDP traffic carrying MPLS, vs. UDP traffic carrying other
payloads.

Mark.