Re: https at ietf.org

On 12/08/2013 09:41 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 9:22 PM, Doug Barton <dougb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:dougb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 12/08/2013 10:21 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

        As I pointed out, what I was objecting to was yet another
        iteration of
        someone asserting that the DNSSEC PKI is different from the CA
        system in
        a way that it is not actually different.

        So I don't have to fix DNSSEC, all I need to fix here is to have
        David
        and others stop making claims for the protocol that are not
        supported by
        evidence.

    Um, no. What you originally asserted was that the root was
    vulnerable to being hijacked by an NSL. You have yet to provide any
    evidence of that, and when confronted by evidence to the contrary
    you changed the subject.

    So leaving aside the fine points of PKI and how they do or do not
    relate to the root, do you have _any_ evidence to support your
    original assertion?

What I said was that any root management is vulnerable to government
coercion. And that is still obviously true.

So your proof consists of, "Of course I'm right?"

Having performed a root key generation in public does not guarantee that
future operations will be public.

Let's take as a truism that we cannot guarantee that future events will be public, sure. However the question remains, how does any government influence the situation to their benefit without the public knowing? After all, the whole point of this exercise is for them to be be able to "slip something in" undetected, right?

Given that the ZSK rolls happen on a predefined schedule, and have always been public, and all of the relevant ZSKs are visible in the zone file; wouldn't changing either of the first 2 parameters raise many, many alarm bells? And if the new ZSK that showed up on schedule was different than the pre-announced one, wouldn't that raise just as many bells?

Publishing the legit ceremonies might provide some additional
transparency but does not prevent an illegitimate ceremony being inserted.

Theoretically that's true, sure. But the real question is what practical benefit would it have for the coercer? Again I'm asking for you to outline the attack you have in mind in detail.

The only real control is that any attack leaves irrefutable evidence and
only a government has the ability to mount such an attack. The idea that
the NSA or FBI would take such a step in the case of the DNS is
ridiculous, it would be tantamount to a treaty violation. But the idea
that they would take similar action against a US based CA or browser
provider is equally ridiculous.

Sorry, I don't understand most of what you wrote in the paragraph above. It sounds interesting though. :)

Doug