Re: IPv6 deployment [was Re: Recent Internet governance events]

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 3:54 AM, joel jaeggli <joelja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/21/13, 11:21 PM, SM wrote:

> The IETF never learns from its mistakes.  It hides its lack of
> imagination by mitigating the awkward questions.  It's a natural
> feeling; nobody likes to admit failure.

Ascribing properties of sentience to an organization  isn't going to get
you very far.

It's not unreasonable to expect more failure than success as part of the
human enterprise. If anything the structure of incentives around IETF
activities tend (imho) to cause  us to spend more time dwelling on the
failures, the things that turned out to be a bad idea, and so forth then
simply moving on.

Correction, spend a lot of time dwelling on the failures, identify the cause and then decide that nothing should be done that might change the way the organization works because as we all know it works so effectively.

The IETF does learn from its mistakes but the management processes are purposely designed to ensure it never acts on them.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/