Re: [Json] JSON: encodings

On 11/12/13 8:28 AM, "Paul Hoffman" <paul.hoffman@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>[[ Adding the JSON WG to this thread ]]
>
>On Nov 11, 2013, at 10:58 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Supporting encodings other than UTF-8 in new formats is not good.
>>
>> Supporting UTF-32 is actively harmful as support for it has been
>> removed or is being removed from clients. You ought to actively
>> recommend against it.
>>
>> In general ASCII incompatible encodings have very bad security
>> characteristics, the IETF would do well to steer away from them, just
>> like the W3C has.

Although I hate UTF-32 with the heat of a several moderately-sized stars
and completely agree that UTF-8 is the one true path, I don't think we can
completely remove UTF-32 from the bis draft.  There may be existing
conformant JSON documents stored in UTF-32 that would be made unparseable
by this change.

What I think we *could* do is put a stronger recommendation for UTF-8 in
section 8.1, rather than just saying it's the default.

--
Joe Hildebrand