Re: A sort of council of elders for the internet

On 11/10/13 11:41 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
> Without changing the /authority/ of the AD to make appointments, what
> about having the AD circulate a list of candidates to the pre-wg
> mailing list and solicit comments.

There are some serious tradeoffs here and I'm not sure where
I'd ultimately come down on this question.  I'm leery of
things that might be contested on popularity or political
grounds (I think we've all noticed orchestrated statements
of support for this or that piece of work, right?), although
I tend to think those are so transparent that they'd be
noticed and noted.  The other thing is a lot sketchier and
I don't know if it's real or not, but it's consistent with
broader social patterns.  I was talking with someone about
finding someone for a particular role and I suggested a
woman, and the guy said "Oh no, she's toxic."  So I suggested
another woman, and he said "She's toxic, too."  I dropped it
and I shouldn't have so I didn't know what was really going on
there (besides not thinking that either of these people are
"toxic," myself), but I think we need to be wary that opening
up the process for input from all participants will tend to
mean sorting through more of those sorts of questions.  On
the other hand I think some really talented people are
being overlooked and this is a way to give them a boost.

Melinda