Re: Clarifying Russ's hums

On 07/11/2013 11:12, Roberto Peon wrote:
> At least one of the questions (and probably two of 'em) for which we hummed
> was unclear enough that I couldn't interpret it as a policy statement.
>
> In particular: "The IETF should strive for e2e encryption even when there
> are middleboxes in the path":
>  - encryption with/without privacy?
>  - encryption with/without authentication?
>  - do authorized/explicit middleboxes count?
>
> This is too ambiguous for me to interpret in any meaningful way :/

I think the word "strive" is the key. According to Merriam-Webster
(where it's shot into the top 10% of lookups for some reason) it means
"to devote serious effort or energy" to something. I don't see that
we need to resolve all the ambiguities before we adopt the goal
of striving for e2e encryption.

Also could you define what you mean by 'privacy'?

   Brian