Re: Anti-harassment policy and ombudsperson

I suspect if it was just about appointing and training some
ombudsperson(s), who could talk to the people involved after someone
feels harassed, and the first couple of situations were resolved to
the satisfaction of all involved, I'm sure no one will complain.

However, it's said that hard cases make bad law, and the potential
problem will come when someone claims harassment, and objective
outsiders either feel that it clearly wasn't harassment, or it was at
best borderline, and in the worst case, the person who claims
harassment attempts to try the case in the court of public opinion,
and demands that, per the policy, that the claimed offender be banned
from all IETF activities going forward.  It will be at that point,
where the IESG gets asked to enforce sanctions, where the lack of
predefined processes could end up turning this into a huge mess.

I'm sure that we all hope that we don't end up in this corner case.
But hopefully, the IESG has thought about how it would plan to respond
in cases where a quick intervention and discussion with the affected
parties from the ombudsperson isn't sufficient to resolve the dispute.

	     	 	      	    	       	  - Ted