Re: Review of: Characterization of Proposed Standards

On 24 okt. 2013, at 15:29, Dave Crocker <dhc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Review of:    Characterization of Proposed Standards
> I-D:          draft-kolkman-proposed-standards-clarified-04
>
> Reviewed by:  D. Crocker
> Date:         24 October 2013

> This draft offers revised normative text for the criteria used to
> qualify IETF drafts as entry-level Proposed Standards status. The
> draft's background discussion makes a number of assertions of fact
> without substantiation, at least two of which are probably not correct.
> The revised normative text includes two criteria that also are likely
> inaccurate.
>
>   The draft is not ready for approval.

Based on these comments and the comments made during the IESG ballot I’ve made changes to the document.
Just posted as:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kolkman-proposed-standards-clarified-05

See Appendix B.6 for a somewhat detailed in-document log of the changes or the excellent diff tool:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kolkman-proposed-standards-clarified-05.txt

There was a suggestion to remove the characterization of Internet Standard (for completeness) I think that is a matter of taste and not of content.

More a matter of content is Dave’s (off-list) suggestion to remove section 4: That section is result of a discussion on the IETF list between Sep 3 and 13 and addresses the worries about setting the bar to high for publication.

I believe that with this version all is addressed and we’ve arrived at if not consensus, then only ripply consensus, certainly not rough…. but off course Jari/IESG is the judge of that.

Over (and out?)

—Olaf