Re: Proposed IETF Anti-Harassment Policy

Hi,

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 d3e3e3@xxxxxxxxx

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is a good idea.  If the professionals thinking this is the right
> wording, that is also fine by me.
>
> I do note the phrase "harassing photography or recording";  I believe our
> current rules say "written, audio and video records of meetings may be made
> and may be available to the public."  It may be appropriate to adjust it to
> something like "harassing photography or recording of individuals outside
> their roles as participants" or to otherwise clarify how photography becomes
> harassment.

Years ago, when I was Chair of the TRADE WG, there was a participant
who had severe disagreements with me concerning procedure and some
technical issues. No one else supported them and they didn't appeal
but they started videotaping WG meetings that I chaired. This
certainly made me feel somewhat uncomfortable, although it just added
a video recording to the audio recording already being made by the
IETF, and I could argue that they were trying to harass or, perhaps
more accurately, intimidate me. Never-the-less, they had the right to
do that and I don't think they should have been stopped from doing so.

Thanks,
Donald