Re: Separate ADs roles from IESG

Just responding to one part of this that I find interesting and that
hasn't yet sparked discussion:

> Also I always don't like when the IESG is discussing and I see that
> the AD responsible for the I-D already made his decision, I prefer
> that AD should wait until all put in their decision/discussions, and
> then he may say what he thinks.

This is a very interesting idea, but I don't know that we can do
anything along this line that would have any real effect.  To
understand this, you'll need to know how the process works on our (the
IESG's) end today:

When a document comes out of one of my working groups, I do my AD
evaluation, perhaps do a round or two of edits with the WG (or perhaps
not), then request last call.  While I do that, I prepare the "ballot"
for the IESG.  After last call, the document's status goes back into
"Ad follow-up" state, and I schedule it for a telechat and issue the
ballot.  (Some of these things can overlap, depending upon the
document, but that's not important here.)

The ballot is where ADs record their positions: "no position", "yes",
"no objection", "discuss", "abstain", or, in rare cases, "recuse" (and
all ballots can have comments associated with them).  All documents
require one "yes" ballot and no "discuss" ballots in order to be
approved.  A Standards Track or BCP document *also* requires 9 other
"yes" or "no objection" ballots (specifically, 2/3 of the non-recused

Now, when I issue the ballot, the datatracker automatically sets *my*
ballot position to "yes", and those of all the other ADs to "no
position".  That's because a "yes" ballot is required, and it's
reasonable to assume that the sponsoring AD, the one who is bringing
the document to the IESG, will ballot "yes" -- why else would she
sponsor the document, if not?

In principle, I like AB's idea: don't have the sponsoring AD
contaminate things by pushing her "yes" in front of everyone, and let
her judge the consensus of the IESG's discussion before balloting.  It
sounds useful, and correct.

Unfortunately, in practice, what I say two paragraphs ago would get in
the way: everyone will always *assume* that the sponsoring AD supports
the document and would issue a "yes" ballot, so even if the rest of
the IESG doesn't actually *see* the "yes" ballot initially, nothing
would really change.

In fact, there are occasions when a sponsoring AD ballots "discuss",
with a clear explanation of why, and, again, the assumption that it
will become "yes" when the issue is resolved.  It's theoretically
possible for the sponsoring AD to explicitly change the ballot to
"abstain" (or, even more oddly, "no position"), but this would cause
immediate questions from the other ADs as to what was going on, and
why were they being asked to spend their time on this document when
the sponsoring AD wasn't willing to support it.

So: this sounds good, and might be worth some discussion of how it
*could* be workable.  Given the explanation above, does anyone think
we can or should do anything here?

Barry, Applications AD