Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-08.txt> (Implications of Oversized IPv6 Header Chains) to Proposed Standard

On 10/14/2013 12:19 PM, SM wrote:
> It's a known problem since at least seven years.  Given that the problem
> is labelled as a security issue there would have to be some changes to
> the specification at some point.  There were design decisions to
> implement the specification and the code has been deployed.  The
> proposed outbound change is one sentence.  The code change to implement
> that one sentence requires reviewing some implementation decisions (re.
> encapsulation, etc.).  Please note that I am not arguing for or against
> a change in the RFC 2119 key words.  The write-up only mentions that the
> draft has been implemented on stateless firewalls.  I am curious about
> whether there are any implementations for a host.

There can't be implementations for hosts because this spec uses an
ICMPv6 type/code that is to be assigned by IANA upong approval of this
document.

That aside, I don't follow your reasoning. If you think the code
required for this spec is complex, take a look at e.g. the TCP code.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont