RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-08.txt> (Implications of Oversized IPv6 Header Chains) to Proposed Standard

Hi Ron,
At 16:55 13-10-2013, Ronald Bonica wrote:
Are you suggesting that we don't address the problem because the code is too complex to touch?

It's a known problem since at least seven years. Given that the problem is labelled as a security issue there would have to be some changes to the specification at some point. There were design decisions to implement the specification and the code has been deployed. The proposed outbound change is one sentence. The code change to implement that one sentence requires reviewing some implementation decisions (re. encapsulation, etc.). Please note that I am not arguing for or against a change in the RFC 2119 key words. The write-up only mentions that the draft has been implemented on stateless firewalls. I am curious about whether there are any implementations for a host.

Regards,
-sm