Re: Review of: draft-resnick-on-consensus-05

A minor point inline, rest snipped

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pete Resnick" <presnick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <dcrocker@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: "IETF Discussion" <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:48 PM

> Finally back to this original review.
>
> On 10/6/13 7:03 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:
<snip>

> >>    Note that this portrays rough consensus as an "exception".
> >
> > I don't understand this first sentence.  How is it an exception?
Even
> > with the following text, I don't see the basis for claiming that it
> > might/would be seen as exceptional.
>
> Maybe I need a different word. I didn't mean "exceptional" in the
sense
> of "extraordinary" or "atypical". I simply meant it in the "exception
> handling" sense: We work toward full agreement, but if there's still
> disagreement, we undertake an alternative path. I'm open to
suggestions
> for text.
>
> >>    Now, a conclusion of having only rough consensus relies heavily
on
> >>    the good judgement of the consensus caller.  The group must
truly
> >>    consider and weigh an issue before the objection can be
dismissed as
> >>    being "in the rough".  The chair of the working group in one of
these

> > In spite of being appealing to use here, I think that the phrase "in
> > the rough" is actually distracting
>
> As I mentioned earlier, I think it is worth defining as the golf term,
> since it is used quite frequently among IETFers nowadays.

I just saw this term used by an AD in a DISCUSS for the first time that
I can recall, and I have not a clue what he means (yes, I understand
golf but do not see the relevance).  My guess is that the AD is flying a
kite, but would not expect that to be any more widely understood:-(

Tom Petch

<snip>