Re: NIST and NASA documents

On Oct 3, 2013, at 7:34 AM 10/3/13, Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le 03/10/2013 13:02, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) a écrit :
>> One draft I'm working on references some standard NIST cryptographic
>> documents. (RFCs don't include everything we need.)  I need to check
>> some details therein. Unfortunately the current US government
>> shutdown has taken NIST's website, including those documents,
>> offline. And (not considering this possibility) I didn't download
>> copies of them.
>>
>> Any link to where copies of such documents are kept would be useful.
>> (Of course I haven't been able to check the copyright on them to
>> know if that's legal, so there may be no appropriate site.)
>>
>> Otherwise, consider the above an observation.
>>

> Same here - I have problems accessing documents at NASA about IP network
> mobility.
>
> The error message says:
> "Due to the lapse in federal government funding, this website is not
> available. We sincerely regret this inconvenience. For information about
> available government services, visit USA.gov."
>
> (roland.grc.nasa.gov/ redirects to notice.usa.gov/)
>
> Whereas I could find the document in Google's cache, I am dubious
> about this situation.
>
> I would have not imagined that documents in a US gov website would
> become unavailable - for political reasons?  I would imagine engineering
> problems like routing system failures, Internet meltdown...

OK, so I'm not going to take a stand about the politics involved.  Trying to avoid wearing out my delete key, can we agree that the situation is a bummer, there's nothing we can do about it and we have a way to route around the damage.  Nothing more to contribute here, please move along...

Thanks and this will be my last post in this thread...

- Ralph