Re: [dhcwg] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines-14.txt> (Guidelines for Creating New DHCPv6 Options) to Best Current Practice

On Sep 19, 2013, at 7:01 PM, Kevin Darcy <kcd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What would be the preferred way to provide a mixed list of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, in a DHCPv6 option? IPv4-mapped addresses?

The preferred way would be not to do that.   I think there is a document floating around out there somewhere that uses IPv4-mapped addresses this way, but in general if you are configuring an IPv4 stack, you ought to be using DHCPv4.   Otherwise DHCPv6 winds up being a transition technology in perpetuum.

To be clear, you definitely should not expect a DHCPv6 client to do something meaningful with an arbitrary IPv4-mapped IPv6 address.   It's anybody's guess where this would clog the plumbing, but it almost certainly wouldn't work.