Re: feedback & blog entry

Issues: OK lets start here...

1)    Structure and Political Representation inside the IETF

Bluntly the IETF@IETF WG is a silo which has erected a wall around itself to make it the controlling power - the problem is its failure to provide proper integration and acceptance practices for all other IETF members

That means it rules the IETF and all of the subordinate entities like IANA, ARIN, and the ISOC to some extent though this process with no formal representation of the entities within the IETF. There are clearly legal issues with this any sane person should see - and I mean that.

This also means the IETF@xxxxxxxx group may not make any modifications to the Use or Publication Licenses for anything that is not approved by the specific standards generation teams and their sponsors but also the WG's themselves.

in fact I would suggest a new Responsibilities RFC be produced to control what a WG Director and AD are specifically (and in a legal sense within the IETF and its process) responsible for.

2)    Transparency

Accountability - there is NO transparency inside the IETF which would meet the audit requirements of any of the participating orgs or governments. That means how tghe oversight is performed and all of the IESG meetings must become transparent. Any and all communications both in-line and OOB must be disclosed and maintained. It is what it is... sorry.

OPINION: The IETF quantifies the Wild West Mentality that is still the Internet IMHO

3)    Contractual Process

The IETF group makes changes to IETF process which are untested and unapproved by the members at large; That means it (the IETF@xxxxxxxx WG pers se) is changing and enforcing changes to IP contracts it is not a direct party to .

4)    The IETF has a freaking membership - get over it.

There is a membership and participants. Those parties are contractual participants in the process and any changes to the contracts or the participation process MUST be vetted by and approved by the Membership At Large and not shoved up the collective ass of the rest of the IETF by this illustrious group (does that language offend you - good wake up).

5)    Stop hiding behind the 107 exemption - it only belongs to IRTF.

The IETF process and IP disclosure processes need new review. The ONLY entity who can claim a research exemption here is the IRTF so the IETF publication license MUST be immediately amended to include notice of this and a new take down process for disputed IP be put in place...

Every publication house has a Take-Down rule for Copyright Violation and IP ownership claims. The IETF has facilitated a lie that it is doing RESEARCH - wrong that is the IRTF's prerogative.

The IETF is in fact creating an IP which is collaboratively structured and as such it is not a research process it is a process of publication for use and that means the IETF itself has no 107 exception here. That is the purview of the IRTF  only...

Sorry but you folks did that to yourselves by not embedding the IRTF research Charter in the IETF itself.

Todd