Re: ORCID - unique identifiers for contributors

On 17 September 2013 21:13, Hector Santos <hsantos@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On 17 September 2013 14:37, Hector Santos <hsantos@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Seems to me to be a conflict of interest issue.
>>

>> Please explain where this conflict supposedly lies.
>

> Too many to list.

Then please list a few.

> Why not gmail.com, google+, facebook.com, linked-in, and
> so forth?

I believe that is at least the third time you have asked a variant of
that question; I have just answered at the first.

>>> I support the basic concept but why not use a IETF registry instead?
>>

>> To avoid duplicating work already done, for one.
>

> But farming this registry out to a 3rd party is problematic, at many levels.

Again, please list some, so that we may discuss specifics, rather than
vague assertions.

>>> Solves several of the conflict of interest concerns, including about 3rd
>>> party entities disappearing, losing support, etc.

>> I have already addressed the "entities disappearing, losing support"
>> myth in an an earlier email.

> You have no guarantee ORCID will be tomorrow

We have guarantees that the software and data will be available openly.

>  nor gmail.com, google+,
> facebook.com, linked-in, nor tomorrows fad will stick around for ever.

I'm not sure why that's relevant.

> Even
> then, the means of contract can also chance. Will ORCID keep up?

What do you mean by "means of contract"? Keep up with what?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing