Re: High-volume benchmark (was Re: [apps-discuss] cbor-05)

On Sep 9, 2013, at 17:44, "Pierre Thierry" <pierre@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Carsten,
>
> in draft-bormann-cbor-05, you mention that "The format must be
> applicable to (…) high-volume applications." in section 1.1.
>
> Do you already have a benchmark in place to measure the volume that a
> CBOR implementation is able to manage? Do you plan to compare CBOR
> implementations to implementations of other similar formats?

Hi Pierre,

of course, I do have some informal benchmarks for my implementations; their purpose is to avoid performance regressions when evolving the code.

However, it has been my experience that, unless you make mistakes in defining the format (e.g., requiring extensive data conversions, two-pass implementations, or back-patching) the actual performance of a data format encoder/decoder is largely dependent on system issues, such as the data model you are using and the memory allocation principles.  So I'm not sure a formal benchmark would help a lot.

What kind of application do you have in mind? Maybe I can come up with a better, more tailored benchmark for that.

Grüße, Carsten