Re: decentralization of Internet (was Re: Bruce Schneier's Proposal to dedicate November meeting to saving the Internet from the NSA

I am wondering about the proposals made during this discussion.

1) It appears that some of the suggestions in this thread are about not using the existing Internet infrastructure to route packets but rather to either use local communication technology (e.g., short range radio) or adhoc networks.

I am not sure how practical this is given how the majority of the applications on the Internet work today. This would obviously have severe impacts on these applications.

2) Regarding the delegation of encryption to network nodes: Are talking about an approach similar to Onion routing here?

While I agree that it would be good to provide protection at various layers I wonder whether you are trying to find solutions at the wrong layer in the protocol stack.

Ciao
Hannes

On 07.09.2013 15:20, Noel Chiappa wrote:
     >  From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Roger_J=F8rgensen?=<rogerj@xxxxxxxxx>

     >  The userbase and deployment are relative small atm so it's doable to
     >  get fast deployment to.

Alas, now that I think about the practicalities.... I don't think the average
router has enough spare computing power to completely encrypt all the traffic.

Whether or not encrypting just the source+dest addresses, and the sort+dest
port (conviently next to each other in one block) is enough to do much good,
and if the average router has enough spare crunch to do even that, is a good
question.

	Noel