Re: Call for Review of draft-rfced-rfcxx00-retired, "List of Internet Official Protocol Standards: Replaced by an Online Database"

At 11:48 14-08-2013, IAB Chair wrote:
This is a call for review of "List of Internet Official Protocol Standards: Replaced by an Online Database" prior to potential approval as an IAB stream RFC.

The document is available for inspection here: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rfced-rfcxx00-retired/

From Section 2.1 of RFC 2026:

  'The status of Internet protocol and service specifications is
   summarized periodically in an RFC entitled "Internet Official
   Protocol Standards".'

My guess is that draft-rfced-rfcxx00-retired cannot update RFC 2026. Does the IAB have any objection if I do something about that?

From Section 3:

  "This document formally retires STD 1.  Identifier STD 1 will not be
   re-used unless there is a future need to publish periodic snapshots
   of the Standards Track documents (i.e., unless the documentation is
   resumed)."

The document argues that STD 1 is historic as there is an online list now. The above reserves an option to restart periodic snapshots if there is a future need. I suggest removing that option as I presume that the IAB has thought carefully about the long term evolution of the Series before taking the decision to retire STD 1.

Regards,
-sm