Re: Last Call: <draft-nandakumar-rtcweb-stun-uri-05.txt> (URI Scheme for Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) Protocol) to Proposed Standard

> On 08/15/2013 04:05 PM, Graham Klyne wrote:
>> Harald,
>>
>> Briefly:
>>
>> 1. Thanks for the reference,
>>
>> and
>>
>> 2. I misunderstood what you meant by "This is a format for a piece of
>> data".  In light of your clarification, I withdraw my comments 3 & 4.
>> Identification of the STUN service would appear to be a perfectly
>> reasonable use.

>> So the remaining issues from my questions are whether the intended
>> highly constrained use of these services justifies allocating a URI
>> scheme.
>>
>> If the community consensus is that it is of sufficient value, I might
>> suggest an annotation to the scheme registration along the lines of:
>>
>> "This URI scheme is intended for use in very specific NAT traversal
>> environments, and should not be used otherwise on the open Web or
>> Internet."
>>
>> Would such a comment run contrary to your expectations for its use?
>
> I would prefer to run the comment as "This scheme is intended for use in
> specific environments that involve NAT traversal. Users of the scheme
> need to carefully consider the security properties of the context in
> which they are using it."
>
> Echoing the warning in the STUN scheme - "use this when you know what
> you're doing only".
>
> Frankly, like Hadriel indicated, I have no idea whether it will be
> useful in other contexts or not,

I tend to think not.

> and I'm hesitant to put language that
> seems to claim that we've evaluated all possible contexts

Agreed.

> and say that
> there aren't other contexts in which it can be useful.

Too many negatives. :-) You are hesitant to say that it won't be useful
in other contexts, or you would prefer to say that it was designed for a
specific contexts and probably wouldn't be useful outside that context?

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/