Re: Faraday cages...

On Friday, August 09, 2013 09:39:12 Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2013, at 9:05 PM, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Would being able to reliably know exactly who said everything that was
> > said in a WG meeting visibly improve the quality of our standards?   If
> > the answer is not a clear "yes" (and I don't think it is) then I suggest
> > that this topic is a distraction.
> If you mean will it improve what is written on the page, probably not.
> Will it decrease the likelihood of someone participating without
> identifying themself, and then violating the IPR rules?   Possibly.
>
> AFAIK that's why we do it.   Not so much because it is an iron-clad
> preventative, but because it to some degree removes the illusion of
> anonymity that might tempt someone to do something like that, or just be
> careless about it.

Unless you're checking identification provided by sources all agree are
trustworthy, you've done nothing of the sort.  You may be able to attach an
unverified identifier to a group of statements, but there's still no firm
connection to identity (I'm not arguing in favor of one, but it seems a bit
silly to expend resources to protect against something you aren't actually
protecting against).

Scott K