Re: Last Call: <draft-bormann-cbor-04.txt> (Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR)) to Proposed Standard

On Aug 6, 2013, at 21:45, Joe Hildebrand <hildjj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 8/6/13 1:11 PM, "Carsten Bormann" <cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> If a CBOR application does require initial signature bytes for
>> self-description purposes, I would suggest using something like
>>
>> 	0xd8 0xf8 ...data item...
>>
>> which decodes as tag248(data item); we could define 248 as a no-op tag.
>
> Or a no-op simple value; we could easily pick one that did not generate a
> valid first character for JSON.

Well, simple values don't have "content".
Using one as a signature would mean the data item ends right on the simple value, and the actual payload would be a second data item.  I'd rather have a single data item that is just (ignorably) tagged.

Yes, picking a tag number that encodes into a file signature that can't be a valid start for JSON (or many other kinds of things, e.g. UTF-8 text) is easy, as demonstrated above.

Grüße, Carsten