Re: procedural question with remote participation

On Aug 6, 2013, at 1:41 PM, Joe Abley <jabley@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In my experience, slides are mainly useful:
>
> 1. To convey information which is difficult to express accurately by voice only (e.g. graphs, names of drafts, big numbers)

Yup.

> 2. To distract the e-mail-reading audience in the room so that they look up and pay attention.

YES!  (Crap, I thought we were supposed to keep that purpose a secret!)
And no way am I uploading my jokes in advance and having people see them in advance - it ruins the joke completely!  Sheesh, they're barely funny enough as is.

> An example of (2) can be found in <http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/87/slides/slides-87-dnsop-8.pdf> where I presented a one-slide problem statement that consisted entirely filled with an xkcd cartoon.

Huh, who knew DNS Ops was rocket science?  :)
(I like the hack idea, btw... mostly because I like your xkcd cartoon, of course)

> Many people use slideware as a teleprompter so that they can remember what to say at the mic. I've done that before. I'm not proud of it.

Yeah me too, but I'd prefer people pay attention to what I say, rather than the text on the slides.

-hadriel