Re: Speaking of VAT

---- Original Message -----
From: "John R Levine" <johnl@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Yoav Nir" <ynir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2013 10:47 PM
Subject: Re: Speaking of VAT

> Ray said the tax guys told him the IETF would get back about half of
the
> VAT it paid.  That's unrelated to what anyone can reclaim.
>
> My understanding is that Germany has reciprocal VAT agreements with a
> bunch of countries so if your employer is in one of those countries it
may
> be able to reclaim, but since the US isn't one of them I haven't
looked in
> detail.

John

VAT is a European Union tax that all member states are required to levy
on the supply of goods and services, although there is flexibility about
the rate it is levied at and what it is levied on.

As a VAT-registered business, mandatory when turnover exceeds a
threshold, I tot up the VAT I have charged and the VAT I have paid and
the difference goes to (or comes back from) the tax authorities.  This
applies across the European Union so there is no problem about where the
VAT is
paid - any European Union country will do - and equally, VAT must be
charged
whereever a supply is made.

There is no requirement to charge VAT on the export of goods outside the
European Union - technically, they are zero-rated - but in general, it
must be charged on the export of services.  The exemption on the export
of goods has generated a lot of fraud in the past few years, especially
on high
value goods such as computer chips, and so has
attracted the attention of the tax authorities.

Only businesses can reclaim the tax - private individuals cannot.

VAT as implemented in the European Union is an administrative and
bureaucratic nightmare, generating work for armies of lawyers,
accountants and administrators.  I would be wary of extrapolating
any aspect of European VAT to taxes of the same name in other
parts of the world (smile - things could be worse:-).  The European
Union's VAT was the first, I think.

Tom Petch