Re: Internationalization and draft-ietf-abfab-eapapplicability

Hi,

> Sam said:
>
>> Nah, you'd just be living in a different hell if you'd been explicit in
>> the EAP spec. I know: other parts of the IETF are in that hell. The
>> protocols are clear and everything is fine until you realize that the
>> backend authentication systems you're dealing with are using a totally
>> different set of rules than the protocols.
>> That hell sucks too.
>
> [BA] I totally agree.

I'm joyfully naïve here.

Right now, the receiving end has no guarantees about the encoding and
normalisation of the incoming string. If it doesn't match its
expectations in that regard, then that's unrecoverable.

In the other hell, it can be sure to receive UTF-8 in NFC, and if that
doesn't match what it needs, it can convert it.

In my naïve thinking, that second hell is a lot less hot and much more
habitable.

Could you point out where my thinking goes wrong?

Also: we're dealing with writing specifications here. If our
specifications are correct, and some implementations do it wrong anyway
- that's their problem, right?

>> However, none of the above matters for this document.
>
> [BA] Exactly.  It's just an applicability statement, not a prescription
> for world peace :)

Sure: we need more than an applicability statement update to achieve
peace in the EAP world. But if an applicability statement update is all
we can work with, we could try and do our best in that one.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--
Stefan WINTER