Re: Content-free Last Call comments

Pete,

On Jun 10, 2013, at 1:37 PM, Pete Resnick <presnick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Russ, our IAB chair and former IETF chair, just sent a message to the IETF list regarding a Last Call on draft-ietf-pkix-est. Here is the entire contents of his message, save quoting the whole Last Call request:
>
> On 6/10/13 1:45 PM, Russ Housley wrote:
>> I have read the document, I a support publication on the standards track.
>>
>> Russ
>
> A month ago, we had another very senior member of the community post just such a message (in that case directly to the IESG) in response to a different Last Call. I took that senior member of the community to task for it. But apparently Russ either disagrees with my complaint or didn't notice that discussion on the IESG list, so I think it's worth airing here in public:
>
> A statement such as the above is almost entirely useless to me as an IESG member trying to determine consensus. It is content-free.

Please describe the context of your email.  Are you speaking for the IESG, yourself as an AD, or an individual?  Is this something the IESG has discussed?  Are you (or the IESG) creating rules for the community, that is, "thou should not send one sentence responses to IETF last calls"?  Same question when you "took that senior member of the community to task".

I read your email that you are trying to control how people respond to IETF last calls and if they don't respond to your liking you can take them to task.  Especially the "Russ either disagrees with my complaint…" text.

This may not have been your intent, but your original email and responses can be read that way.

Bob