Re: Content-free Last Call comments

On Jun 11, 2013, at 6:03 PM, Dave Cridland <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
... and how would we judge IETF consensus on a document that doesn't get done under a charter (which would in turn have been granted consensus without any IETF comments?)

I would expect that you'd start with a mailing list, see if there is interest, come up with a proposal for a BOF, come up with a working group charter, get IESG review on the charter, then get IETF consensus on the charter, and then start working on the document.   That's how it's usually done.

BTW, the fact that a few people think the process ought to work differently does not mean there is consensus for it to work differently.   Also, what there may not be consensus on among the people who have weighed in on the topic is whether positive statements in favor of a document are relevant in IETF last call, but I don't really know how to reduce that to practice, because in reality I think it is rare for a quorum of IETF participants to read a document as a consequence of a last call announcement.   Without that, I don't see how you can have any other last call process than the one we currently have.