Re: Content-free Last Call comments

On Jun 11, 2013, at 1:52 PM, Doug Barton <dougb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The flip side of that argument is that we don't want to assume working groups are infallible, or more importantly not subject to the groupthink phenomenon. Otherwise what is IETF LC for?

The IETF last call is for catching things the working group missed, not for rehashing arguments that were beaten to death in the working group.   It is certainly possible for a discussion in the working group to go one way, and then for the same discussion to come up in IETF last call and go the other way, because the experts on the topic were not included in the discussion, or because their advice was inappropriately ignored.   This does happen; unfortunately, when it happens it often doesn't get caught in IETF last call anyway.