Re: Forwarding AODV messages over a tunnel

On 6/5/13, Thomas Meier <nsclick@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to forward AODV messages over a tunnel (don't worry, it's not for a
> wormhole attack).

its ok, but if it was my AODV network I will be worried. Tunneling is
not understood only if I know what network are you tunneling through!!

> In the RFC3561 I can't find information about how to deal with the packet at
> the tunnel endpoint.

IMHO, normal ways of packet tunnel

> Should I increment the hopcount of a RREQ by one or by
> the number of hops the tunnel has?

RREQ is not a packet, your question was on packets, that increment of
RREQ is done by AODV node received. So I think only once, because one
tunnel and between two aodv-nodes only.

> Furthermore I'm wondering about which
> address to use for the previous node at the tunnel endpoint. Should this be
> the entrance of the tunnel or the "real" previous node?

nothing is real when you are tunneling, so use the node address of
tunnel start. Overall I think the routing performance will not be good
only if the network elements of the tunnel is not mobile.

> If the tunnel entrance is used as previous node and the hopcount is only
> incremented by one, the tunnel would be prefered compared to a connection
> without a tunnel (like in wormhole attacks).

Not correct, you don't say your reason, so I don't know how to respond.

> Is there some information on how to deal with a tunnel?

In MANET documents I don't think there is importance of using
tunneling, I think it is not prefered. If used it will be an attack so
I am worried about what are you doing  :-)

AB