Re: IETF Meeting in South America

Besides the language there is a big digital divide particularly in South America.

Many of you know that actively participating in this type of forums requires a non trivial amount of time (plus skills and knowledge.) In developed countries some IETF members have a better financial situation or are being sponsored/supported by an array of organizations or other activities that help pay the bills.

Researchers, students, engineers, you name it, in other parts of the world including South America are in a daily battle to subsist, including trying to survive some stupid regulations that do not help development, like restrictions or taxes on publications, tools, materials, etc. Often is very hard to obtain the resources to participate at international meetings like IETF, and in the particular case of Argentina travel expenses are very high and flight times are longer and with many stops. This is not something new, in the early days (when I lived in AR) we were always begging to get support to be able to participate on meetings or similar activities.

One thing that could help is if some companies like Cisco, Google, Juniper, etc, with presence in the region start sponsoring some individuals that have been participating or are interested to participate at IETF so they can have more time and financial resources.

Taking the IETF meeting to Buenos Aires is not a bad idea, but when the meeting is over the root problem will still be there.

My .02
Jorge

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 10:02 PM, David Conrad <drc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On May 23, 2013, at 7:44 PM, Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So the question is why we aren't seeing more drafts, reviews, and
> discussions from people in Central and South America,

Language?

Regards,
-drc