Re: IETF Meeting in South America

On 5/23/13 10:30 AM, Alia Atlas wrote:
> Never been to Buenos Aires - but it sounds like a great idea.

I'm skeptical that it will change much - it seems likely to me
that we'll get a bunch of one-time attendees and that we'll be
doing really well to get one new person who becomes a continuing
participant.  That said, I do think it will be *extremely*
valuable to get feedback from those one-time attendees about
what they're seeing in our documents, and that we should be
trying to figure out ahead of time how to engage those one-time
attendees.

Traveling from Fairbanks, pretty much anywhere is a long, long
trip and quite expensive relative to what most people pay for
airfare, so actual location doesn't make that much of a difference
to me personally.  I also don't think it's that big a deal if a
few regulars miss one meeting because it's too far or too
costly or whatever.

So as I said, I'm skeptical, but I think the potential benefits
of giving this a shot outweigh the likely downsides.

Melinda