Re: Proposed Standards and Expert Review

On 2013-05-21, at 15:08, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Without responding in detail to John's note, I'll say that I agree substantially with the notion that the fact that someone manages to get a protocol name or number registered, should not be any kind of justification for standardization of a document that describes use of that name or number.

If such a justification was inferred in my document, the problem is presumably my unclear language because no such justification was intended.

(I am very happy for my document to be re-pointed at informational, incidentally, for which wheels are in motion. I will likely leave the normative language in, in the interests of improved interop, and see how far I get.)

Code-points in the RRType registry are assigned by expert review (not simply by "filling out a template" as someone suggested earlier). If the suggestion is that the standards track is not available for any work that involves a code point that was assigned early, then I wonder what process is imagined for any future DNS work which aims at the standards track.

Joe