Re: Deployment of standards compliant nameservers

On May 20, 2013, at 6:23 PM, Mark Andrews <marka@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <6A13CEB4-8906-4EC5-9210-571D5474E7FC@xxxxxxx>, manning bill writes:
>> I believe that there are a couple of problems with this plea.
>>
>> 1) - The IETF has -never- tested for or assured compliance with their
>> document series.
>
> Which has what to do with requesting that a known problem get fixed?

One has to test for compliance in order to determine if the problem exists in a particular implementation.

> One that is clearly caused by nameservers operating outside the
> expected behaviour of nameservers.

No offense, but your view of "clearly" and "expected" have sometimes been at odds with other folks in the DNS protocol community. Your request that the IETF do conformance testing might first be based on assurance that the DNS protocol community agrees on those. After that, "someone" can probably do testing. And after that, "someone" might be able to get people to take action against non-conformant implementations.

--Paul Hoffman