Re: Effects on DNS can be severe

On Friday, May 03, 2013 12:46:52 PM Douglas Otis wrote:
> On May 3, 2013, at 12:21 PM, Scott Kitterman <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Friday, May 03, 2013 12:04:53 PM Douglas Otis wrote:
> >
> >> Over many years at attempting to change the course of the SPF process,
> >> this
> >> effort appears to have been futile.

> > It does seem a bit odd for you to claim you're being ignored when the
> > largest change in SPF processing limits contained in 4408bis was your
> > suggestion.  An alternate interpretation to consider is that the working
> > group fully considered your inputs and incorporated those that were
> > appropriate technically and in scope for the charter.
>
> Dear Scott,
>

> This was not directly part of the IETF process, as my input there was
> ignored.
>
> As I recall, removal of unlimited recursion occurred after a presentation
> made in Boston to the Open Group.

I assume you are referring to some of the pre-IETF activities for SPF.
Recursion based processing limits don't appear in RFC 4408 (and also not in
4408bis).

> As with unlimited recursion, the need for the macro functions are also
> negligible while posing real risks. This is a serious security concern
> still needing to be addressed.

This was discussed in the working group and tracked in the WG issue tracker:

http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/spfbis/trac/ticket/24

The change mentioned in the ticket is a direct result of your input to spfbis
(referenced in the ticket).

As far as I can tell, this is just a case of "the working group came to a
different conclusion, so I'll whine about it on the main list".

Scott K