Re: call for ideas: tail-heavy IETF process

>       Working groups were taking around 500 days and now take around 600.
>
>       The IESG was taking around 200 days and now takes around 110.
>
>       The RFC then and now takes around 100 days (with lots of variation
> 	between the then and the now, of course.)
>
>  Considering the 'now' set of relationships among the phases, The IESG
> is adding about 20% on top of the working group, and the RFC Editor is
> adding another 20% on top of the working group.  In other words, once
> a working group considers itself done, they are probably only around
> 70% done...
>
> The total, today appears to be around 3 years to get a specification
> developed and published.  That's for one document, not the set of them
> that might be needed to produce a useful service...
>
> A basic question, then, is whether we think these absolute numbers and
> these proportions of time are reasonable and appropriate for the IETF
> to be/remain effective?

seems pretty reasonable to me.  from personal experience, the iesg and
rfced add useful value.

being in a many-year process of getting a technology through the
saussage machine, it's the wg that feels to me to be the most
inefficient part of the process.  i attribute this to email not being
the best medium, and meetings being too short and too far between.  but
that is purely subjective.

randy