Re: Meritocracy, diversity, and leaning on the people you know

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Moriarty, Kathleen
<kathleen.moriarty@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Being a scribe can be a good way for people to know who you are (the
> scribe).  From reading the thread on this, when you ask someone who is new,
> how about having them sit next to someone who is more familiar with the
> attendees to help with names?   Maybe for those which English is not a first
> language, they could monitor the jabber list for questions.  They may be
> more comfortable with certain aspects of volunteering during a session or
> reading drafts on their own time.
>

> It would be good to get the message out to newcomers that volunteering is
> important.  You help others and they help you, it is basic networking skills
> and does work in the IETF.

I support this.  Maybe some encouragement from the chair could help
the newcomers in winning their natural "shyness."  I talk by personal
experience here: maybe my shyness is a bit above average, but I think
that when it is your first time in a new environment, it is only
natural to be a little afraid of doing something wrong, even in
something like IETF that I, as newcomer, found quite "welcoming."
Adding the "pseudo-mentor" to the scribe could also help and maybe
also having two newcomer-scribes in parallel, so that each one knows
that if s/he misses something or gets something wrong, the redundant
scribe can be used to recover from the error.