last call comments for draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-06

In the process of doing the apps area review, I came across some points that were not related to applications.  The basis for these comments is precisely the sentiment that Russ Housley expressed, which is that the specification is done when there is no more to remove.  With this document, I wonder if quite a bit could be removed.

Specifically, a great deal of discussion goes into the PRF involving DAD counters, etc, when all that is needed is a suitable PRF.  The draft in fact says this in Section 3 after an explanation of the inputs.  Any PRF that follows the guidelines of RFC 4086 should do fine and not cause interoperability OR security problems.  Put simply, you are over-specifying the RID and derive no benefit from doing so.

Also, the following text in section 3 Page 7 is contorted:

      This means that this document does not formally obsolete or
      deprecate any of the existing algorithms to generate Interface IDs
      (e.g. such as that specified in [RFC2464]).  However, those IPv6
      implementations that employ this specification must generate all
      of their "stable" addresses as specified in this document.

My suggestion is to simplify remove it as it is self-evident.

Finally, this algorithm requires that the resultant host portion be 64 bits.  Is that necessary?

Eliot