Re: Meritocracy, diversity, and leaning on the people you know

On 4/19/2013 1:47 PM, Dave Cridland wrote:
Nice post.

I wonder whether a better mechanism for drawing newcomers into the inner
circle - which is what I think you're intent is here - would be to randomly
select people to be involved in a short online meeting to discuss the
draft, rather than review it in isolation.

It'd be a different kind of review, which adds value for us, I think, and
would instantiate new human subnets which could be used to bootstrap other
involvement.

This is, I stress, merely a quick reaction to your much more thoughtful
post, and I reserve the right to backtrack and change my mind.

I'm replying to Dave's note, but read further through the thread.

I'm not seeing the randomly-invite-to-review and randomly-invite-to-discuss being mutually exclusive. If I'm reading the mail threads on newcomer assimilation correctly, what we're hoping for is to identify people who we might not always identify, who can and will produce good work. The additional random selection gives people who we might not have identified a chance to show whether they can and will produce good work.

I note that one of these possibilities places more emphasis on spoken English than the other. That's important to keep in mind. Maybe letting people self-select for the kind of review is helpful.

Thanks,

Spencer